TOP  >  E-TOP  >  Consultation Examples  >   Temporary Return

Consultation Examples

Resident Status Daily Life Info Other
Renewal of Period of Stay Change of Status of Residence Your passport Residence card Temporary Return
Living Permanently in Japan Naturalization

List of Relevant Organizations / Back to the index

I am a foreigner studying in Japan. I plan to return to my country temporarily during the summer vacation period. Is there any necessary procedure for me to follow?

A foreigner who departs Japan temporarily and re-enters the country for the same purpose for which his or her status of residence was previously granted can avoid the need to obtain another visa by getting a re-entry permit at a relevant immigration bureau.

Necessary documents are as follows.

  1. Application for Re-Entry Permit (available at regional immigration bureaus)
  2. Residence card or Special Permanent Resident Certificate
  3. Your passport

If one’s period of stay has less than three years remaining, the permit expires with the period of stay.

Special Re-Entry Permit

Starting on July 9, 2012, the re-entry permit is no longer necessary for foreign nationals with a valid passport and residence card (for special permanent residents, Special Permanent Resident Certificate) who re-enter Japan within a year (for special permanent residents, two years) from the date of departure. However, the validity of the special re-entry permit cannot be extended overseas, and the re-entry after the current period of stay is not permitted.

Aichi International Association
Sannomaru Annex Building,
Aichi Prefectural Government 1 & 2 F, 2-6-1,
Sannomaru, Naka-ku, Nagoya, Aichi 460-0001
TEL:052-961-8744, E-mail:somu* (Please replace"*" with "@.")
| Contact | Sitemap