TOP > Daily Life Info > Consultation Examples > Resident Status
Multicultural Center >
Consultation Examples
Resident Status Daily Life Info  Other
Renewal of Period
of Stay
Change of Status
of Residence
Passport Alien Registration Temporary Return
Living Permanently
in Japan
List of Relevant Organizations / Back to the index

I am a foreigner studying in Japan. I plan to return to my country temporarily during the summer vacation period. Is there any necessary procedure for me to follow?

  A foreigner who departs Japan temporarily and re-enters the country for the same purpose for which his or her status of residence was previously granted can avoid the need to obtain another visa by getting a re-entry permit at a relevant immigration bureau.

The required documents are as follows.
  1. Application form for Re-Entry Permit
  2. Your passport and alien registration card, etc.
  A Re-Entry Permit is effective for three years at most.

  If one’s period of stay has less than three years remaining, the permit expires with the period of stay.