Divorce between a Japanese and a foreign national
If one partner is a Japanese national resident in Japan, divorce is carried out under Japanese law. If both partners agree to divorce they may obtain a divorce by mutual consent; if they do not agree, they can obtain a divorce by arbitration; and if arbitration is unsuccessful, they should go to court for divorce by adjudication. Should the laws of the non-Japanese partner's home country not recognize divorce by mutual consent or divorce by arbitration, however, their notice of divorce in Japan will not be accepted by their own country's government. Divorce by mutual consent is registered with the local municipal office, while divorce by arbitration takes place in the Family Court, and divorce by adjudication in the regular court. For more details, please contact your local municipal office and your country's embassy in Japan.