Income tax and residence tax
Irrespective of your nationality, if you are receiving a salary for work carried out within Japan you must pay income tax and residence tax. Residence tax is paid to the city, town, or village in which you were living on January 1 that year. For details of income tax, please contact the Tax Consulting Office of the Nagoya Regional Taxation Bureau (English: 052-971-2059; Japanese: 0570-002007). For details of residence tax, please contact your local municipal office.