People who have overstayed their visas may leave the country without being detained if they meet the following conditions and report themselves to the Immigration Bureau. In this case, they may not re-enter Japan for one year.
(1) They report themselves to the Immigration Bureau with the intention of immediately leaving the country.
(2) They are staying in Japan illegally.
(3) They have never been imprisoned or received other punishment for a crime such as theft.
(4) They have never been forcibly deported or ordered to leave the country.
(5) It is certain that they will leave the country immediately. People who are caught by the police or Immigration Bureau after overstaying their visa will be forcibly deported, and may not re-enter Japan for at least five years.