Divorce and status of residence
People whose status of residence is Spouse of a Japanese National cannot extend their visas if they divorce or live apart from their spouse. People who are bringing up children who have a Japanese parent, however, or who have been living in Japan for an extended period even if they do not have children, may be able to change their status of residence to that of Long-Term Resident. Even for people who have overstayed their visas, it may be possible to obtain “Special Permission for Residence”. Before beginning divorce proceedings, you should check what will happen to your status of residence after you divorce.